Exercise fun? You have got to be kidding! Actually, I’m not. While I may not be a big fan of getting off my duff and hitting the gym, I do know how important exercise can be to my overall health, as well as its ability to boost my metabolism and burn calories faster. Without exercise most of us either can not lose the amount of weight we want; or it takes us longer than we expected. This is because exercise helps to increase our heart rate and build muscle, which helps us to burn those calories at a faster rate. This all contributes to how much weight we will eventually lose.
Understanding the role exercise plays in our weight loss can help us to stick to a plan better. Still, wouldn’t it be nice if there were some fun things about exercise? Well, there is! Even if regular physical activity does not thrill you, there are some fun facts about exercise that can help motivate you. Here are just a few to consider:
- Breathing can actually help you to lose weight. The more oxygen you get filtering through your body, the higher your metabolism will be; the more calories you will be able to burn; and the less hungry you will feel throughout the day.
- It isn’t necessary to hit the gym in order to get in a good workout. Raking the leaves; painting a room; shampooing your rugs; pulling weeds; even mopping the floor are all physical activities that can help you burn as many calories as a medium intensive aerobics class. Even getting down on the floor and playing with your kids (hard) can give you as much of a workout as any exercise class can – and does.
- Want to boost your calorie burning ability? Eat spicy foods an hour or two before exercising and you will burn 50% more fat and calories. No one knows for sure why this works, but research study after research study proves that it does.
- Want to indulge in your favorite treat? Do so within 2 hours of exercising while your metabolism is still running high. It will have less of a negative affect on your waistline.
- Stop drinking sugared drinks and you could lose 21 pounds in a single year. That’s how many calories the average American downs in soft drinks every year.
None of these trivia facts will alone will make a huge difference on your waistline, but added together (and used to motivate you) and they certainly can over the long haul. Just remember, whether you like exercise or not, it is an essential part of any winning weight loss program. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be a lot. There is no need to hit the gym hard every day. Something as simple as taking a walk can be very beneficial to your weight loss plan. When it comes to exercise a little can go a long way. Just be sure to get in at least 30-60 minutes of some form of exercise three times a week for the best results.